Are you feeling stressed, overwhelmed, or stuck in a state of fight or flight?
It’s not uncommon to experience these sensations, especially given the fast-paced and demanding world we live in. Even more so when we are being blasted by solar storms, or if there’s big planetary shifts going on (of which there have been a lot of lately!).
However, at times like these, especially if you’re a sensitive soul, it’s important to prioritize coming back to centre, and take steps to restore safety in your body.
When we’re already in a fight/flight response, practicing somatic and mindfulness exercises, can really support to release tension and find calm, ultimately building resilience and restoring your sense of centre. Essentially it is a great way to come back into your body – which is key!
Here are 5 daily practices for restoring safety in your body:
1) Listen to high-frequency music to restore a sense of calm and safety in your energy and body. I particularly enjoy listening to music focused around the frequencies connected to the heart or root chakra for this. Here’s a playlist I put together for myself and my clients called Embodiment of Love.
2) Body Scan Meditation: A body scan meditation is a powerful way to connect with your body and release tension. Find a comfortable seated or lying position and bring your awareness to your breath. As you inhale, scan your body from your toes to your head, noticing any areas of tension or discomfort, or perhaps even blocks. As you exhale, release that tension and invite in a sense of ease. Move your breath to that area and see the air unblock it and move it out of your system. You can also try adding in a visualization, such as picturing a warm, golden or purple light flowing through your body and healing any areas of tension.
3) Box Breathing: is a simple breathing exercise that can be done anytime, anywhere, to promote relaxation and restore safety in your body.Try inhaling slowly through your nose, filling your lungs, and then exhaling slowly through your mouth. Then continue by inhaling for a count of four, holding your breath for a count of two, exhaling for a count of 6, and holding your breath for a count of two. Repeat this sequence several times, allowing your breath to become slow and steady. The key here is to focus on your outbreath!
4) Cat-Cow Flow: The cat-cow flow is a gentle yoga sequence that helps to mobilise your spine and promote relaxation. Begin on your hands and knees with your wrists under your shoulders and knees under your hips. As you inhale, arch your spine and lift your head and tailbone towards the sky (cow pose). As you exhale, round your spine and bring your chin to your chest (cat pose). Move through this sequence for several breaths, syncing your movements with your inhales and exhales.
5) Grounding Exercises: Grounding exercises are designed to help you feel more connected to the earth and your body. You can try standing barefoot on the grass, sand or soil, feeling the sensation of the ground beneath your feet. You can also try hugging a tree and asking it to support you, or imagining yourself as a tree with roots growing down into the earth. This can help you feel more stable and grounded, especially if you’re feeling anxious or overwhelmed.
These are just a few examples of practices and exercises that can help you come back to yourself and find safety in your body after experiencing a fight or flight response especially.
Remember to be gentle and compassionate with yourself as you explore these techniques, and know that it’s okay if it takes some time to find what works best for you. With practice and consistency, you can learn to reconnect with your body and find a sense of peace and safety within yourself in any given moment.
I’d love to know if you try any of these to support you when you’re feeling particularly overwhelmed or anxious. And if you find yourself feeling like this, I recommend you connect with me on insta as I’m often sharing energy updates there to help you feel less crazy 😅
Did this article resonate with you?
Do you often feel like you’re in a fight/flight or symptom state?
Here are 3 ways you can work with me:
1. As a practicing MindBody Reconnect therapist and energy healer I support my clients in getting out of symptom state and back into a sense of safety, fun and joy! Especially if you suffer from ME, IBS, anxiety or other similar physical symptoms.
2. Shift your energy, life and business and get fully activated into your next level expansion with my 1-1 Soul Aligned Spiritual Business Mentorship & Healing.
3. Join me for an in-person 3 day VIP Healing Immersion in Spain, where we will combine MBR therpay, somatic practices, energy healing and activations and so much more to recalibrate your entire system.
Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in learning more.